Saturday, September 23, 2006

When is a good time???

With all my attention being focused on hunting and being in the woods a question popped up. (Especially after talking with callie this morning) I believe it's important for everyone to know how to tell north from south and to do it without a compass. Face it, every year the news runs lotsa stories about some poor fool hiking or skiing and getting lost. I'm wondering when would be a good time to teach my girls how to navigate and to read a map an compass? I'm thinking I'd like to start taking them hiking and slowly get them started. That sound like a plan??

11 comments:

Penny said...

Definitely. Sooner the better. Even if it's just the rudiments and what do to if you get lost.

lowk said...

Penny, long time no hear. How u doing???

MYSTIC said...

Sun rises in the East..unless it's a nuke.
Mountains run North to South
Coastline goes North to South
Moss grows on North Side of the tree.
Prevailing winds West to East.
Point your right hand to the rising sun and you are facing North. Now shall we do Night Navigation?

lowk said...

around here moss grows on the whole tree. I've already started teaching the girls to find the north star by looking for the "W" and the dipper handle.

MYSTIC said...

I DO BELIEVE THAT WOULD BE Cassiopeia.
HOW ABOUT THE BIG DIPPER? NORTH STAR WOULD BE POLARIS. 1ST MAGNATUDE STAR.
SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE YOU LOOK FOR THE SOUTHERN CROSS. AFTER THAT I'M LOST.....

lowk said...

I think after hunting season I'll take the girls out hiking and start showing them the ropes. I'll have callie get lost so the girls can see what not to do.

MYSTIC said...

lowk check and see if they have any Orienteering Classes near you. The old military maps are the best to show them how to use terrain and the like. It would be fun too.

Callie said...

Sweetie, I can get lost in our house. You don't need to take them to the woods to see that.

lowk said...

I'm ussing the muzzle loader this year. So far all I've seen have been fawns. My friend from work got a bear in the same area. I'll be calling for coyotes and bobcat in a week or two.

MYSTIC said...

ALL I HAVE SEEN THUS FAR ARE FOXES AND DOVE.

lowk said...

I think that ground squirrel did'nt get that memo. hehe